Pochishe Boishakh - the 25th day of the month of Boishakh passed us by about 5 days ago. It ushered in the 150th birth anniversary of the poet laureate and versatile genius Gurudev Rabindranath Thakur. Fondly referred to as "Robi Thakur" and "Kobiguru" and even though his name has been anglicized as Rabindranath Tagore, he lives on in our hearts, through his rich legacy of work... which also includes his timeless songs - Rabindra Sangeet.
Here are some links to a few of those songs that are also brilliant poetry. Sit back and immerse yourself in the fragrance of his words, thoughts and music:
1. Akash Bhora Surjo Taara: Link - sung by none other than Srikanto Acharya.
2. Aguner Poroshmoni: Link1 - by Srikanta Acharya.
3. Aloker Ei Jhorna Dhaaraye Bohiye Dao: Link2 - rendered by Bhaskar Bagchi.
4. Mone Ki Dwidha Rekhe Gele Chole: Link3 - sung by Chinmoy Chottapadhyay.
5. Aamaro Porano Jaha Chaye: Link4 - by Chinmoy Chottapadhyay.
In Hindi: Hindiversion.
6. Aami Chini Go Chini Tomaare (from the movie "Charulata"): Link5 - Sung by Kishore Kumar. Lyrics: Kobiguru Rabindranath Thakur, Direction: Satyajit Ray, Actors: Soumitra Chatterjee and Madhabi Mukherjee.
Note: "Nashtanir", translated as "The Broken Nest" or "The Fowled Nest". The great Satyajit Ray has captured it on screen as "Charulata". Ray's translation of "Nashtanir" into the film "Charulata", completed in 1964 and released in 1965.
It is thought to be autobiographical. Amol's character (played by Soumitra Chatterjee) is Tagore himself and Charulata (played by Madhabi Mukherjee) is his sister-in-law Kadambari Devi (the wife of Jyotirindranath Tagore). Jyotirindranath was one of Rabindranath's elder brothers and 13 years his senior. Rabindranath was the fourteenth and the youngest living child of his parents. Kadambari Devi was married at the age of nine and committed suicide at 26 (4 months after Rabindranath Tagore was married). Rabindranath was 22 at the time, just a couple of week shy of his 23rd birthday. It is said that Robi Thakur never recovered from this shock...
Watch "Charulata" if you can.
7. Tumi Robe Nirobe (from the movie "Kuheli"): Link6 - sung by Hemanta Mukherjee and Lata Mangeshkar.
8. Aami Poth Bhola Ek Pothik Eshechhi (from the movie "Mon Niye"): Link7 - sung by Hemanta Mukherjee and Asha Bhonsle.
9. Tumi Kemon Kore Gaan Karo He Guni: Link8 - rabindra sangeet by Srikanto Acharya (along with English Subtitles).
10. Chanchalo Mon Aanmona Hoye (from the film "Adwitiya"): Link9 - Lata Mangeshkar and Hemanta Kumar are the playback singers.
11. Kon Se Alor Swapno Niye (from the movie "Prothom Kodom Phool"): Link10 - Lata Mangeshkar.
Here is the version sung by Shreya Ghosal: Link-Shreya.
12. Ke Pratham Kachey Esechee (from the film "Sankhabela"): Link11 - Manna Dey and Lata Mangeshkar.
In 1966, Sudhin Dasgupta used Manna Dey to playback for Uttam Kumar for the first time in this movie… that starred Uttam Kumar and Madhabi Mukherjee.
13. Aaj Mon Cheyeche Ami Hariye Jabo (from the film "Sankhabela"): Link12 - by Lata Mangeshkar.
14. Chander Haasi Bhaand Bhengechey: Link13 - a beautiful song rendered by Indranil Sen and Indrani Sen.
15. Prano Bhariye: Link14 - Nayontara.
16. Sokhi Bhabona Kahare Bole: Link15 - by Lata Mangeshkar.
... His legacy, our treasure-trove is overflowing with such gems.
He Kobiguru... tomar paaye thhaekai matha. He Bishwakobi, He Robi Thakur, amar matha noto kore dao he tomar chorono dhular tole. Tumi dhonno Robi Thakur, tumi dhrubotara, tumi amar... tomaye pronam. Shato koti pronam.
Photograph: Robi Thakur with two of his kids. Pic. courtesy link.